Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our House

My house is my refuge, an emotional piece of architecture, not a cold piece of convenience.-Luis Barragan




I am fascinated by our house. According to the woman we bought it from, it was built back in 1896 and is one of the older houses in town. We moved in last November (I was 7 month pregnant at the time...do not advise doing that) and I have only just now really started thinking about remodeling. We have done the basics...like tearing up the magenta wall-to-wall carpeting and fixing some minor things. But now comes the fun part, remodeling and decorating...and I am totally intimidated by it.

When it comes to decorating, I once again have the mysterious case of ADD that sometimes plagues me. I have a million great ideas and million different styles that I like but then I get overwhelmed and do nothing because all my ideas really do not go well together. Maybe I am crazy, but I feel like our house deserves the best...like it has put in is time and put up with some abuse and now it needs a makeover. I look at it like it is art...and I would love to create a masterpiece.

We plan on doing most of the work ourselves and luckily, we have two master woodworkers in our family. Both my father (builds custom kitchen/bathroom cabinets) and my father-in-law (custom made doors and windows) are a wealth of information when it comes to remodeling. My husband, Loran, is also becoming quite the little woodworker himself as an apprentice to his father.

Another person I am lucky to have met through the blog is Anne Sage! She has been a great help in making me narrow down my style and giving me some focus. There has been lots of laughs already and I am sure there will be many more to come. I can not wait to share it with all of you!

1 comment:

Little Things said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Having lived in and redecorated (and remodeled) several houses, I love the challenge that faces you!! Just use things that make you happy and you'll be pleased with the results. And don't be afraid of color.