Monday, October 20, 2008

An Excellent Use For An Apple

Be prepared because this salad is good. Not in the "it is healthy so I better eat it" good but more of the "get out of my way before someone gets hurt" good. Plus it is a vinaigrette..which automatically makes it sound fancy and not something a mere mortal could make. Cool.






(Look! A hairy little hobbit hand!)


Spinach Salad with Maple-Dijon Vinaigrette

Borrowed from Cooking Light

Yield:8 servings

Ingredients
1/4 cup maple syrup (use real maple syrup otherwise it tastes fake)
3 tablespoons minced shallots (about 1 medium)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon country-style Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I added an extra 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
1/2 cup chopped Braeburn apple (just add the whole thing)
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach

Preparation

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add mushrooms and remaining ingredients; toss well to coat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh this looks awesome. i'm always looking for ways to make spinach more palatable- it's so good for you but sometimes it makes me gag and leaves a weird film on my teeth. does that revelation make me sound crazy?

seriously though, I'm a firm believer that maple syrup makes EVERYTHING better.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Just saw that it has bacon too. That's it, I'm SO making this for dinner tomorrow. Bacon AND syrup? It's practically brunch for dinner! Enough to make you forget that you're eating spinach in the first place.

I wonder if you could make croutons out of pancakes.