Monday, November 3, 2008

Feed Me I'm Starving!

A friend of ours called tonight and then ended the conversation with "I gotta go...I have to cook my daughter dinner."

"What are you going to make for her?" we politely pondered.

*Big sigh* "I haven't figured that out yet."

So I am posting this quick and easy (and quite tasty) recipe for our friend and his daughter. May she never have to wait for dinner again.



Tex-Mex Corn Chip Chili
Borrowed from Everyday with Rachael Ray
Serves 4

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
One 15-ounce can black beans
One 15-ounce can pinto beans
One 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chiles
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
12 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (I used half this)
One bag (about 10 ounces) corn chips, such as Fritos

1. In a Dutch oven (or a big pot...like you cook pasta in), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 7 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the beans, with their liquid, and the tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the cilantro, then top with the cheese, cover and let stand until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Place a handful of corn chips in each of 4 bowls. Top with the chili and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the words of Miss Ray---YUM-O!

(ugh- can't believe I just said that as the woman SERIOUSLY gets on my nerves. there's something to be said for toning down the perkiness now and then)

I'm SO going to make this recipe though...I'll bet it would taste awesome over polenta in place of the chips (though not as indulgent, to be sure :)